Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Designing a Piggy Bank Label

My cousins son was turning 1 year old… last year. But I figure any time is good to share a design. I’m a poor artist so I couldn’t buy anything, and I think handmade gifts are better. Even if he was just turning one, and probably won’t remember… I still thought it would be special.

So while I was growing up my parents instilled in me that college was important. That there was no way in hell I would not be going. So while times are different now, it’s always nice to get at least a little bit of college. So I was going to make a College Fund Jar. I had the empty jar (as I hoard many), and paper, and a printer, plus paint. I was set.

First thing I did was start sketching out little doodles (as is my style). I have no idea what these little man will grow up to be or want to be. So I kept the sketches generic and unassuming.


Next I traced some font I had in Photoshop, nothing special. I just wanted to give it that hand 
drawn feel.


After that I cropped it to size and filled in space around the edges. 


Next I went to some color scheme website and found some nice ones to get inspired from.


I think I did a vote or just asked my parents which one they liked best, and the upper right corner one won. And now time to print, paste and paint. The finished product I think came out pretty good if I do say so myself.


I don’t design patters or think of how a product is designed much. But I had a fun time designing this.




No comments:

Post a Comment